According to the EU Regulation 261/04 the passenger is entitled for a compensation in case of delay (from 3 hours), cancellation or denied boarding if the above-mentioned flight irregularities are not caused by force majeure (e.g., bad weather, Corona, bird or lightning strike, etc.). The amount of compensation depends on the flight distance and is between EUR 250 and EUR 600 per person.
In addition, the passenger is entitled to care services if the delay exceeds 2 hours. The care services consist of:
- Meals and refreshments in proportion to the waiting time
- Hotel accommodation if a stay of one or more nights is required
- Transport between the airport and the place of accommodation
The care services must be provided by the airline free of charge. If the airline has not fulfilled its obligation and the passenger had to organize the care services himself, we can claim the costs incurred against the airline. It is important to send us a copy of the invoice or receipt. Without proof, we cannot enforce the care services.
In case of cancellation, denied boarding or missed connecting flight, passengers can choose between:
- Ticket refund
- A return flight to the first departure point at the earliest possible time
- Alternative transport to the final destination under comparable travel conditions at the earliest possible time
If the airline does not provide an alternative transport and the passenger has to organize an alternative transport himself, we can claim the additional costs incurred from the airline (e.g., if the alternative transport is more expensive than the scheduled flight). It is also important here to provide the invoice or receipt. We are also happy to claim the ticket costs if the passenger is not willing to continue the journey due to the above-mentioned flight irregularities.
Unfortunately, we cannot enforce all other costs incurred, as this is not covered by the EU Regulation 261/04. This applies in particular to:
- Seat reservation
- Loss of earnings
- Corona tests
- Services not used at the final destination, such as hotel, rental car, catering, concert tickets, etc.
- Parking fees due to the delayed/ cancelled flight
Cases that are already ongoing, we are happy to subsequently enforce the above-mentioned costs if the case has not progressed too far. Please note that this will require us to reset the case and start the enforcement process from beginning.